PDF (Portable Document Format) was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated with the intention of enabling cross platform, open exchange of electronic documents. It has been adopted by the publishing industry for the exchange of print ready content due to its extended capabilities over PostScript. PDF is preferred by many because it is easy to open and view, it is typically much smaller in file size that its PostScript counterpart, and PDF often eliminates processing errors commonly encountered with PostScript.
Most desktop applications require the creation of a PostScript file before a PDF can be generated. If you choose to submit PDF to The Physician and Sportsmedicine, please make sure that the originating PostScript file is prepared in accordance to The Physician and Sportsmedicine PostScript specifications (located under DDAP Guidelines/Create PDF).
The Physician and Sportsmedicine supports the DDAP (Digital Distribution of Advertising for Publications) recommended guidelines for creating PDF. It is imperative to follow the DDAP recommended guidelines, The Physician and Sportsmedicine's ad material guidelines, and the PDF specifications listed below. From our experience the reliability of PDF is dramatically increased when they are created properly.
Preflighting PDF files, before delivering them to The Physician and Sportsmedicine, is highly recommended. Pitstop, by Enfocus, is an application which will check PDF files against user definable criteria. Download The Physician and Sportsmedicine's customized Pitstop Professional 5.01 Profile, MH_Pitstop_Profile.ppp, to verify that your PDF file meets The Physician and Sportsmedicine's specifications. To purchase Pitstop online, visit the Enfocus web site at: https://www.enfocus.com.
If you prefer to out source the creation of PDF files, please refer to the DDAP DAD (Digital Ad Database) list of providers at https://www.ddap.org/dad/dad.pl.
PDF File Requirements:
- PDF files must be created with Acrobat Distiller 4.05 or higher using the DDAP Distiller Job Options and the instructions provided on this web site.
- PDF files created with PDF Writer, or saved directly from Adobe Illustrator®, Adobe InDesign®, or Adobe Photoshop® are NOT accepted!
- Scanned images must be high resolution (300 dpi), CMYK (no spot colors, RGB, LAB, or ICC color profiles), and saved in TIFF or EPS format. (Note: Final output of all The Physician and Sportsmedicine pages will be at 2400 dpi.)
- All Fonts must be included and be Type 1 or 3 (no Truetype).
General File Requirements:
- Macintosh formatted CD (650 MB), Zip (100 MB), Jaz (1GB)
- File to contain only 1 page or 1 spread
- Line screen: 133 lines per inch (54 lines per centimeter)
- Screen angles used unless otherwise requested on disk label: C-15%, M-45%, Y-90%, K-75%
- All required trapping should be done prior to creating the file
- Color traps = .08mm/0.144 pt and black overprint set when necessary
- Include quality control patch (color bars) within maximum dimension of ad file
- All Marks (trim, bleed, center) should be included in all colors
- Maximum dimensions including all additional identifiers (i.e. crop marks, sign-off slugs, color bars, agency/engraver logos) are as follows: Single Page: 17" H X 11" W (432mm X 280mm) Spread: 12.5" H X 18" W (318mm X 457mm)
- Maximum actual ad size, non-bleed page: 6-3/4"H x 9-1/2"W (171mm x 241mm), bleed page: 8"H x 10-3/4"W (203mm x 273mm)
Note: Laser proofs (color or black and white) are acceptable for content proofs only.
Contract quality Press, Offpress, and Digital (Halftone, and Continuous Tone) proofs are acceptable for color guidance on press. Examples of preferred SWOP Certified proofs include:
• DuPont Digital WaterProof®
• DuPont Waterproof®
• Fuji FinalProof
• Fuji PictroProof
• Imation Matchprint
• Imation Matchprint Digital Halftone Proof
• Kodak Approval Digital Color Proof
• Polaroid PolaProof Digital Halftone Proof
For more information on SWOP visit their web site at https://www.SWOP.org.
Number of proofs:
Disk Directory Printout
Agency Contact Name
Agency Contact Phone Number
Engraver Contact Name
PDF File Name: ________________.pdf
• Disk Directory Printout
• PDF created with Acrobat Distiller 4.05 or higher
• All fonts and images are included
• Fonts are Type 1 or 3 (no Truetype)
• Colors are set to CMYK (except for intended spot colors)
• CMYK images are at least 300 dpi/12 dpmm and do not contain ICC color profiles.
Note: The final output of all The Physician and Sportsmedicine pages will be at 2400 dpi
• Trim, bleed and center marks included on all colors
• Proofs included: 1
• Maximum single page image area is: 17" H X 11" W (432mm X 280mm)
• Maximum spread image is: 12.5" H X 18" W (318mm X 457mm)