Note: TIFF/IT-P1 is not equivalent to a Photoshop® Tiff!
TIFF/IT-P1 is the preferred file format for the submission of digital ad materials to The Physician and Sportsmedicine. It is recommended by SWOP and is ANSI and ISO accredited. TIFF/IT-P1 has proven to be an extremely reliable and widely accepted file format. It is a raster based file which means that it has already been RIP'd (Raster Image Processed). In other words, all of the vector data (i.e. fonts, logos, gradient fills, etc.), commonly associated with PostScript and PDF, have been resolved to bit map data. This results in a very stable, predictable file.
Systems capable of generating TIFF/IT-P1 were typically limited to high end, proprietary CEPS systems (i.e. Scitex), however, there are now lower cost solutions available which run on Macintosh and PC platforms. For a list of vendors with TIFF/IT-P1 capable systems, please click here.
If you prefer to out source the creation of TIFF/IT-P1 files, please refer to the DDAP DAD (Digital Ad Database) list of providers at https://www.ddap.org/dad/dad.pl.
TIFF/IT-P1 File Requirements:
File should contain at least three of the following components:
Final Page File = .fp
Continuous Tone File = .ct
Line Work File = .lw
Spot colors should reside in a separate TIFF/IT-P1 file set
Continuous Tone (CT) = RES 12 dpmm (300 dpi)
Linework File (lw) = RES 80 dpmm (2032 dpi) and should not exceed
RES 100 dpmm (2540 dpi). Preferred RES is 100 dpmm.
Note: Final output of all The Physician and Sportsmedicine pages will be at 2400 dpi
General File Requirements:
- Macintosh formatted CD (650 MB), Zip (100 MB), Jaz (1GB)
- File to contain only 1 page or 1 spread
- Line screen: 133 lines per inch (54 lines per centimeter)
- Screen angles used unless otherwise requested on disk label: C-15%, M-45%, Y-90%, K-75%
- All required trapping should be done prior to creating the file
- Color traps = .08mm/0.144 pt and black overprint set when necessary
- Include quality control patch (color bars) within maximum dimension of ad file
- All Marks (trim, bleed, center) should be included in all colors
- Maximum dimensions including all additional identifiers (i.e. crop marks, sign-off slugs, color bars, agency/engraver logos) are as follows: Single Page: 17" H X 11" W (432mm X 280mm) Spread: 12.5" H X 18" W (318mm X 457mm)
- Maximum actual ad size, non-bleed page: 6-3/4"H x 9-1/2"W (171mm x 241mm), bleed page: 8"H x 10-3/4"W (203mm x 273mm)
Note: Laser proofs (color or black and white) are acceptable for content proofs only.
Contract quality Press, Offpress, and Digital (Halftone, and Continuous Tone) proofs are acceptable for color guidance on press. Examples of preferred SWOP Certified proofs include:
DuPont Digital WaterProof®
• DuPont Waterproof®
• Fuji FinalProof
• Fuji PictroProof
• Imation Matchprint
• Imation Matchprint Digital Halftone Proof
• Kodak Approval Digital Color Proof
• Polaroid PolaProof Digital Halftone Proof
For more information on SWOP visit their web site at https://www.SWOP.org.
Number of proofs:
Disk Directory Printout
Agency Contact Name
Agency Contact Phone Number
Engraver Contact Name
CT component: _____________________CT
LW component: _____________________LW
Disk Directory Printout
• Meets TIFF/IT-P1 standard
CT resolution is RES 12 dpmm (300 dpi)
LW resolution is between RES 80 dpmm (2032 dpi) and not to exceed RES 100 dpmm (2540 dpi). Preferred RES is 100 dpmm.
Note: The final output of all The Physician and Sportsmedicine pages will be at 2400 dpi
Trim, bleed and center marks included on all colors
Maximum single page image area is: 17" H X 11" W (432mm X 280mm)
Maximum spread image is: 12.5" H X 18" W (318mm X 457mm)