Current Issue
Volume: 38
Number: 4
Index: December 2010
Clinical Focus:Respiratory Care
Editorial Calendar
December 2010
Clinical Focus: Respiratory Medicine
  • Asthma and the athlete
    • Vocal cord dysfunction
    • Exercise-induced asthma
    • Exercise-induced bronchospasm
  • COPD
    • Obesity and COPD
    • Relationship between COPD and nutrition intake
  • Treatment options for steroid-induced osteoporosis in men
  • Treatments for asthma
    • Bronchodilators, anticholinergics
    • Corticosteroids
    • Metered-dose vs other types of inhalers
  • Respiratory infections in winter sports athletes
  • Asthma in elite athletes
  • Pulmonary rehabilitation and physical activity
  • Fitness and long-term oxygen therapy/lung transplantation
  • Airflow function and the metabolic syndrome
View More
Submission deadline: November 05
Fast-Track deadline: November 15
Fast-Track peer review is available for those papers requiring immediate review (for an additional fee). Complete peer review is finalized in 1-2 weeks and comments are provided to the author within 72 hours of their receipt by the editorial office. Authors are asked to submit a revised manuscript within 10-12 days. Accepted manuscripts are processed within 2-3 weeks, published online within 3 business days of final author approval, and in print in the next available issue.
Submit your FAST-TRACK manuscript online today. It's fast, it's easy! Just follow the detailed instructions, fill in all the required fields, and upload your manuscript.
Get started NOW!
[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Document Delivery Services

[email protected]

[email protected] [email protected]

[email protected]

Managing Director:
John Elduff
Phone: 610-889-3732
Fax: 1-866-297-3168
[email protected]

General Information
Phone: 610-889-3730
Fax: 1-866-297-3168
1235 Westlakes Drive
Suite 320
Berwyn, PA 19312
doi: 10.3810/psm.2021.10.1727
The Physician and Sportsmedicine: Volume 37: No.3
Impact of Psychosocial Risk Factors on the Heart:
Changing Paradigms and Perceptions
Barry A. Franklin, PhD
Abstract: To combat cardiovascular disease (CVD), physicians and allied health care professionals often focus on modifying conventional risk factors such as cigarette smoking, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, and diabetes. However, a recent review of published research demonstrated that 75% to 90% of coronary artery disease (CAD) incidence is explained by these risk factors, either alone or in combination.1 This has stimulated a vigorous search for other correctable risk factors (ie, to explain the remaining incidence [10% –25%]), including genetic anomalies, markers of inflammation (C-reactive protein, lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2), and specific lipid/lipoprotein particles to enhance risk stratification. Nevertheless, an escalating body of research provides strong evidence for the adverse effects of psychosocial factors in the development of CVD and in the prognosis of patients with CAD.


Back to the table of contents for the October 2021 issue