CME Self Test
Credits provided by the American College of Sports Medicine
CME Editor: Thomas L. Schwenk, MD, FACSM
THE PHYSICIAN AND SPORTSMEDICINE - VOL 26 - NO. 12 - DECEMBER 98
This CME activity was planned and produced in accordance with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) Essentials. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) is accredited by the ACCME to sponsor continuing medical education for physicians.
The ACSM designates this continuing medical education activity for a maximum of 3 hours in Category 1 of the Physician's Recognition Award of the American Medical Association (AMA). Each physician should claim only those hours of credit that he or she spent in educational activity. ACSM CEC or National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA) CEU credit is also offered. Learning objectives for this CME activity are supplied.
To participate in this program, you must read the material carefully, answer the test questions, obtain a passing grade (a minimum score of 60% must be obtained), and complete the credit evaluation form.
After answering the test questions, go to the end of this test to score your exam. To receive credit verification, fill out and sign the form confirming you have read the materials and obtained a minimum passing score.
Print out this test and circle the best answer for each of the following questions.
Acing Common Skin Problems in Tennis Players (page 37)
1. Choose the measure that is helpful in treating and preventing all of the following: tennis toe, talon noir, blisters, and calluses.
2. A tennis player who has acne mechanica should be treated with
Exercise and Menopause: A Time for Positive Changes (page 45)
3. Exercise has been shown to help relieve or prevent all of the following midlife problems except
4. Which of the following exercise prescriptions would best help midlife women minimize the problems associated with menopause?
5. Midlife women who are not taking estrogen should consume ______mg of calcium and ______IU of vitamin D each day.
Pulmonary Embolism: Sifting the Risk Factors (page 53)
6. What is the most common genetic mutation that substantially raises the risk for thrombosis in women who are taking oral contraceptives?
7. The most common acquired cause for a hypercoagulable state is
8. Which statement about postthrombosis return to exercise is false ?
Imaging Quiz: Posterior Ankle Pain in a Recreational Athlete (page 59)
9. Pain in which one of the following areas is an indication of os trigonum syndrome?
10. Which one of the following statements
11. Which one of the following is not included in the differential diagnosis of os trigonum syndrome?
Exercise Adviser: Pain-Free Feet: Helpful Hints for Runners (page 73)
12. After 300 to 400 miles, about how much cushioning is lost from the average running shoe?
13. What is good advice about orthoses that are less than 1 month old?
Clinical Techniques: Shoulder Stability Testing Using the Lateral Decubitus Position (page 75)
14. Which position typically provokes subluxation or dislocation if anterior shoulder instability is present?
Preferred credit hour type (check only one): ___ AMA (CME Category 1) ___ ACSM (CEC) ___ NATA (CEU) Evaluation of credit offering: 1. Was material: ___ New or ___ Review for you? 2. Was material: Presented clearly? ___ Yes ___ No Covered adequately? ___ Yes ___ No 3. Did material meet the learning objectives? ___ Yes ___ No 4. Will you be able to use the information learned from this credit offering in your profession? ___ Yes ___ No If yes, how:___________________________________________________ Please attach business card, print legibly, or type on each form: Name: _________________________________ Degree: _____________ Address: ______________________________________________________ City: _____________________ State: _____ Zip: _______________ Business Phone: (_____)____________________ Fax: (_____)____________________ ___ ACSM Member (ACSM ID# ______________________) ___ Nonmember (ID# ___________________________) I attest that I have read the articles and answered the test questions using the knowledge gained through the articles provided in this issue and received a passing grade (minimum score 60%). I am claiming _____ number of credit hours (maximum=3 hours). Signature: ____________________________________ Date: __________ ___ Change my address as shown above, effective date: __________ To receive credit, mail these pages or photocopies of them, with check or money order in the amount of $15 (ACSM members) or $20 (nonmembers) for each CME Self Test to: Education Department American College of Sports Medicine Box 1440, Indianapolis, IN 46206-1440 USA.
Please allow 3 weeks for processing.
Answers: 1.C, 2. D, 3. C, 4. C, 5. D, 6. D, 7. B, 8. B, 9. D, 10. A, 11. C, 12. C, 13. A, 14. A
Copyright (C) 1999. The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights Reserved