CME Self Test
Accredited by the American College of Sports Medicine
This CME activity was planned and produced in accordance with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) Essentials. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) is accredited by the ACCME to sponsor continuing medical education for physicians.
The ACSM designates this continuing education activity for 3 hours in Category 1 of the Physician's Recognition Award of the American Medical Association (AMA). ACSM CEC or National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA) CEU credit is also offered.
To participate in this program, you must read the material carefully, answer the test questions, obtain a passing grade (a minimum score of 60% must be obtained), and complete the credit evaluation form.
After answering the test questions, go to the end of this test to score your exam. To receive credit verification, fill out and sign the form confirming you have read the materials and obtained a minimum passing score.
Print out this test and circle the best answer for each of the following questions.
Nutrition Adviser: Alcohol and Your Health (page 21)
1. A study found that compared with athletes who did not have alcohol, athletes who had alcohol before exercising
A. had more muscle cramps
2. What is considered "moderate drinking" for a man?
A. Three drinks a week
Detecting and Treating Common Foot and Ankle Fractures: Part 1: The Ankle and Hindfoot (page 29)
3. A runner sustains an inversion injury to his ankle. X-rays demonstrate an oblique fracture of the lateral malleolus beginning at the level of the ankle joint with 5 mm of lateral talar displacement. Initial treatment should include
A. closed reduction and casting with a follow-up x-ray
4. Lateral x-ray of an injured rock climber's ankle reveals a displaced intra-articular calcaneus fracture. Which test should be done next?
A. Computed tomography
5. Which fracture is most likely to be associated with avascular necrosis of the talus?
A. Osteochondral fracture of the talar dome
Aggressive Acne Treatment (page 41)
6. Which grade of acne is primarily papular in nature?
A. Grade 1
7. A factor that most likely contributes to acne exacerbation is
8. Which medication should typically be used first in acne treatment?
A. Benzoyl peroxide
Imaging Quiz: A Painful, Swollen Elbow (page 49)
9. The fat-pad sign at the elbow is best visualized in which radiographic view?
A. Anteroposterior view with elbow in extension
10. If a positive posterior fat-pad sign is seen on the initial x-ray, but no fracture is apparent, then further diagnostic work-up 10 days later would include
Contraindications to Athletic Participation: Spinal, Systemic, Dermatologic, Paired-Organ, and Other Issues (page 56)
11. To compete safely in collision sports, athletes should have corrected vision better than
12. Which of the following sports is not associated with a high prevalence of spondylolysis?
13. What type of sport is contraindicated for patients who have hepatomegaly?
14. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, which sport would likely be safe for a patient who has Marfan syndrome?
15. Which sport is absolutely contraindicated for a patient who has a single eye?
Evaluating and Treating Active Patients for Anemia (page 79)
16. Which exercise-related cause of anemia is most closely associated with a fall in serum haptoglobin?
17. A basic work-up for iron-deficiency anemia includes all but
A. erythrocyte sedimentation rate
18. A sedentary menstruating woman needs how much daily iron in her diet?
A. 12 mg
Exercise Adviser: Cross-Training: Giving Yourself a Whole-Body Workout (page 103)
19. Which is least likely to be a benefit of cross-training?
A. Increased adherence because of added variety
Preferred credit hour type (check only one): ___ AMA (CME Category 1) ___ ACSM (CEC) ___ NATA (CEU) Evaluation of credit offering: 1. Was material: ___ New or ___ Review for you? 2. Was material: Presented clearly? ___ Yes ___ No Covered adequately? ___ Yes ___ No 3. Did material meet the objectives as stated in the abstract ("In brief")? ___ Yes ___ No 4. Will you be able to use the information learned from this credit offering in your profession? ___ Yes ___ No If yes, how:___________________________________________________ Please attach business card, print legibly, or type on each form: Name: _________________________________ Degree: _____________ Address: ______________________________________________________ City: _____________________ State: _____ Zip: _______________ Business Phone: (_____)____________________ Fax: (_____)____________________ ___ ACSM Member (ACSM ID# ______________________) ___ Nonmember (ID# ___________________________) I attest that I have read the articles and answered the test questions using the knowledge gained through the articles provided in this issue and received a passing grade (minimum score 60%). Signature: ____________________________________ Date: __________ ___ Change my address as shown above, effective date: __________ To receive credit, mail these pages or photocopies of them, with check or money order in the amount of $15 (ACSM members) or $20 (nonmembers) for each CME Self Test to: Education Department American College of Sports Medicine Box 1440, Indianapolis, IN 46206-1440 USA.
Answers: 1.B, 2.C, 3.A, 4.A, 5.D, 6.B, 7.C, 8.A, 9.C, 10.C, 11.A, 12.C, 13.A, 14.B, 15.D, 16.C, 17.A, 18.B, 19.B
RETURN TO SEPTEMBER 1996 TABLE OF CONTENTS
HOME | MAP | JOURNAL | PERSONAL HEALTH | CME | RESOURCE CENTER | CALENDAR | ABOUT US
Copyright (C) 1996. The McGraw-Hill Companies. All Rights Reserved